Re: New GNOME Website - Plone Deployment

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 8:08 AM, Lucas Rocha <lucasr gnome org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We're working during this development cycle to have a beta version of
> the new GNOME website by September 21 (GNOME 2.28 release). For
> details about the plan, go to:
>
>  http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/TwoPointTwentyseven
>
> The new website will be based on Plone and we need to discussion about
> the best way to handle the deployment of the new website in GNOME
> servers. The Plone developers have added some deployment notes here:
>
>  http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/Plone/Deployment

This page suggests we use varnish. Try googling "varnish segfault".
Personally, I've seen nothing problems with it. Do the plone devs have
suggested stable versions of it? It compiles the config file into
executable code and loads it. Could we use something novel like
Cherokee in its place

> The short term goal now is to setup a continuous build infra to have a
> test website always running the latest code from repository. During
> the 2.27/2.28 cycle, the code will reside on Plone's collective
> subversion repository. So, the idea is to have 1 or 2 builds per day
> where the latest code is checked out from repository and automatically
> re-deployed on GNOME servers.
>
> The long term goal is, of course, to have our Plone instance running
> on GNOME servers with the ideal resources and optimum performance. In
> that case, I'm sure there are many technical details that need to be
> sorted out before any action here. This is why I'm sending this
> message: to kick off discussion between Plone developers and sysadmins
> about our Plone deployment.
>
> So, I ask to sysadmins:
> - Do we have enough server resources to run Plone with optimum
> performance? If not, how can we solve this?
> - How feasible it is to have the test website and the continuous build
> infra done in the next 2-3 weeks? In that case, we don't need the
> ideal server resources yet as it's just for testing.
> - Do you need any further information other than the stuff on the wiki page?

Being new to the team, someone with more experience might be able to
answer some of the other questions but here are mine.

Is python 2.4.5 a hard requirement? This limits where we can run Plone
and what distros we might use unless we backport python.

The wiki page says, "Missing: provide a script that checks out the
latest code and rebuilds the code and restarts the Plone instance".

Can we get links to the plone docs on building from trunk or a "best
practices guide" on how they do it? We might learn something clever
from their insight and then write the scripts ourselves.

> The Plone guys have already subscribed to this mailing list and will
> answer any questions you may have.
>
> Cheers!
>
> --lucasr

Thanks!

--
Jeff Schroeder

Don't drink and derive, alcohol and analysis don't mix.
http://www.digitalprognosis.com