Re: New GNOME Website - Plone Deployment

Hi!

Am Wed, 27 May 2009 08:37:35 -0700 schrieb Jeff Schroeder:

> On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 8:08 AM, Lucas Rocha <lucasr gnome org> wrote:
[...
>>  http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/Plone/Deployment
>
> This page suggests we use varnish. Try googling "varnish segfault".

We use varnish 2 in production w/o segfaults. Even big sites are using
varnish in front (plone.org itself, qtsoftware.com too) w7o known
problems. Varnish 1 was crap, but the latest 2.x series seems fine as far
as i can tell.

> Personally, I've seen nothing problems with it. Do the plone devs have
> suggested stable versions of it? It compiles the config file into
> executable code and loads it. Could we use something novel like Cherokee
> in its place

I dont know Cherokee. If it is an reverse caching proxy it probably
possible. But I fear from the Plone-folks theres not much experience with
it. If it respects the caching headers - like varnish or squid do - it
will work. I just need to say, it will consume more time for setup with
anything different from varnish/squid: At least I dont know any reference
setup for it. Can you point me to introductional docs about it?

>> So, I ask to sysadmins:
>> - Do we have enough server resources to run Plone with optimum
>> performance? If not, how can we solve this? - How feasible it is to
>> have the test website and the continuous build infra done in the next
>> 2-3 weeks? In that case, we don't need the ideal server resources yet
>> as it's just for testing. - Do you need any further information other
>> than the stuff on the wiki page?
>
> Being new to the team, someone with more experience might be able to
> answer some of the other questions but here are mine.
>
> Is python 2.4.5 a hard requirement? This limits where we can run Plone
> and what distros we might use unless we backport python.

Yes. 2.4.5 is mandatory. I just compiled it without problems on a Debian
Lenny. I have to say my redhat experience is 10 years old.

> The wiki page says, "Missing: provide a script that checks out the
> latest code and rebuilds the code and restarts the Plone instance".
>
> Can we get links to the plone docs on building from trunk or a "best
> practices guide" on how they do it? We might learn something clever from
> their insight and then write the scripts ourselves.

I can help with this. Its simple: update from subversion, re-run
buildout, stop the zope-server, re-run installsite, start the zope-
server. This all is for testing only. For the Live-Deployment we dont
need such a script. All neccessary is be bundled inside the buildout.

best regards!
--
Jens W. Klein - Klein & Partner KEG - BlueDynamics Alliance