Re: Is any translator team using glossaries?

Þann sun 29.apr 2018 20:32, skrifaði Rudolfs Mazurs:
Hi all,
I was looking around for a glossary for the GNOME project. The only one I
could find was made 14 years ago [1]. Perhaps there is a more up-to-date
version somewhere?

You can roll your own using gettext [1], which calls them 'compendium' [2]. Beware, at first you may get a file with *all* existing strings in the project - what you really want is a selection of short definitions and words that are of help for translators. It can take several passes of gettext commands to filter out the relevant strings into a combined PO-file or a CVS (better for structuring). To use the glossary with a CAT-application like Lokalize, you would probably like to convert your glossary to a TBX-format (industry standard glossary exchange format); there are multiple tools available to help with glossary creation, but curiously most of them are Windows-only (Glossary Converter, Okapi-Rainbow, Heartsome-TMX...).
Some of those run fine in Wine on Linux.

OT: But you may also ask yourself *why* glossaries should be based on specific software-projects; for my (tiny) language, a coordinated effort has been made to publish sector/discipline-based glossaries [3]; one for each of astronomy, economics, engineering, electronics, etc. (total of 43 glossaries + a combined one I made myself). I even got separate glossaries for networking/encryption/certificates, for computers/software and for computers/hardware.
Similar glossaries may exist for your language.

Of course such field based glossaries have their disadvantages; designed by committees (when is that a good idea?), not always very up to date, difficult to amend/maintain/edit, etc. Meaning that there *has to be* active input from the users, which often are translators - professionals or hobbyists - who should listen carefully to their audience and be active in proposing new words/definitions to the publishers of the glossaries. Under no circumstances, these can exist as a private matter of some 'authority' in an 'ivory tower'... ;-)

On the other hand such cross-projects glossaries can be of great help maintaining consistency across different projects, just as well as in a big project like GNOME.

Just thoughts, best regards,

Sveinn í Felli
Translator for Icelandic (is) in several FOSS-projects

[1]: <https://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/gettext.html#Creating-Compendia> [2]: <http://docs.translatehouse.org/projects/localization-guide/en/latest/guide/project/howto.html#not-repeating-yourself>
[3]: <http://www.malfong.is/index.php?lang=en&pg=islex>