Re: Is any translator team using glossaries?

Sgrìobh Sveinn í Felli na leanas 30/04/2018 aig 09:19:
Þann sun 29.apr 2018 20:32, skrifaði Rudolfs Mazurs:
Hi all,
I was looking around for a glossary for the GNOME project. The only one I
could find was made 14 years ago [1]. Perhaps there is a more up-to-date
version somewhere?

You can roll your own using gettext [1], which calls them 'compendium'
[2]. Beware, at first you may get a file with *all* existing strings in
the project - what you really want is a selection of short definitions
and words that are of help for translators.
It can take several passes of gettext commands to filter out the
relevant strings into a combined PO-file or a CVS (better for structuring).
To use the glossary with a CAT-application like Lokalize, you would
probably like to convert your glossary to a TBX-format (industry
standard glossary exchange format); there are multiple tools available
to help with glossary creation, but curiously most of them are
Windows-only (Glossary Converter, Okapi-Rainbow, Heartsome-TMX...).
Some of those run fine in Wine on Linux.

OT: But you may also ask yourself *why* glossaries should be based on
specific software-projects; for my (tiny) language, a coordinated effort
has been made to publish sector/discipline-based glossaries [3]; one for
each of astronomy, economics, engineering, electronics, etc. (total of
43 glossaries + a combined one I made myself). I even got separate
glossaries for networking/encryption/certificates, for
computers/software and for computers/hardware.
Similar glossaries may exist for your language.

You have a great setup there :)

The optimum solution is to have a cross-project glossary that everybody
who localized into your language agrees on. This avoids ending up with
different words for the same thing. For example, Germans get confused
about the difference between "Kennwort" and "Password" - well, it's just
different translations for "password". This is where being short on
translators can actually turn into an advantage - it's easier to
coordinate and swap glossaries and TMs!