Re: Committing translations

Hello

On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 12:09 PM, Ask Hjorth Larsen <asklarsen gmail com> wrote:
Kenneth, our previous coordinator, has argued very convincingly that
working over the mailing list is more efficient than using damned
lies.  Amongst other things this is because we always proofread a
specially generated podiff.

How is this different from the diff offered by Damned lies?

Well.... you can't write comments in between the diff chunks for one
thing, as it's side-by-side.  What we do is to annotate the diff
freely and send that back to the translator.  It's the central step of
the process so we're somewhat picky about this.  For example it's very
nice that the entire header, with all the comments, are included in
the diff even if only the timestamp was changed.

Our podiffs don't have a fixed amount of context but rather work in
terms of entire entries.  This is a minor thing perhaps, but when you
have to proofread a a couple thousand strings, you know....

It also seems to me that the damned lies
workflow involves the reviewer correcting the po-file.

It's a possibility but not mandatory. The reviewer can also simply use
the "Write a comment" action to suggest improvements, or even "Rework
needed" if the translation is too far from being ready. Once the
translation is ready, the reviewer can simply mark the file as "Ready
for submission", without having to upload a new version first.

By the way, in case you haven't seen it yet, the workflow is explained
by https://l10n.gnome.org/static/img/workflow-translation.png which is
available next to the action combo box.

In our group
the reviewer writes comments in the podiff to the translator who then
learns something and edits the po-file.  A minor issue perhaps, but
it's not so smooth with damned lies, and there are a few other reasons
as well.

See above how you can do just that.

But how exactly?  Perhaps I am overlooking something, but the diff
does not seem easily editable as I noted above.

Either way thank you for all the information.

Best regards
Ask

So I would be quite interested in a git account.  Could this be arranged please?

https://wiki.gnome.org/TranslationProject#For_coordinators_or_committers_of_a_language_team

--
Alexandre Franke