Re: Committing translations

Ask Hjorth Larsen:
I recently became coordinator of the Danish translation team.  I am
now using damned lies to commit some translations.  It results in a
bit more clicking than strictly necessary.

That's because you're doing it wrong. ;-)

Right :).  Well...

The situation for Swedish is similar to your, Ask.  DL could have been
a good way to handle translations if it took care of all of them.  But
it only handles Gnome translations, and the translation group isn't t
Gnome only.  And there aren't any "Gnome translators for Swedish",
there are "translators for Swedish" that work on Gnome among other
things.  We have a central mailing list where many FOSS translations
are handled.  It seems to be roughly the same for you.

Just to give you some ideas, this is how we do it for Swedish Gnome:

1. A translator reserves a translation on DL
2. The translator sends his translation to DL
3. The translator sends a note to the mailing list alerting others he
has done so.  Typically the mail includes links to the translation on
DL the entire translation as an attachment.
4. One of the team reviewers reserves the translation for review,
adding a note that the review actually takes place on the mailing list.
5. We allow a couple of weeks for review and discussion on the mailing
list.
6. The translator sends any corrections to DL.
7. The reviewer who reserved the translation marks it for submission.
8. The coordinator sends the translation to the repository.

Again, just to give you some ideas.  I don't pretend to know if this
would work for you or not.

There still are a couple of extra manual steps for us.  In my view,
not quite as bad as you describe.  I don't have to remove the
reservations; only the real translator sends translations to DL.

We have a web page to describe the variations in the translation
process for different projects.
(http://www.tp-sv.se/dok-4.html#ss4.2) It's in Swedish, but I guess
our Danish colleagues will figure that out easily.