Re: Survey on bug tracking of software translations.

T , 2012-03-14 10:44 +0100, Olav Vitters rakstīja:

What I am saying is that within GNOME we already use Bugzilla and Damned
Lies. If those are lacking, then improve that. I don't see the value of
adding yet another site and expecting me (GNOME sysadmin) to host that.
As I envision it, the tracker is maintained by local translator teams.
At least in Latvia, translators work across projects and know each
other, so making a single bug tracker for all translated projects in one
language seems natural.

We have such a thing for Hungarian: http://bug.openscope.org
To report a bug, you need to select the software, upload a screenshot and some optional commentary, and that's it.

Upside is that users don't need many registrations and know how to use all the different bug trackers, only one. Downside is that we still need to require a registration, because we got a lot of spam in free for all mode.

We had a few other tries to tackle this problem, the best in terms of number of submitted bugs was a simple Drupal-based hack that integrated into ubuntu.hu, which allowed only basic features, but one could use it without any extra registration or login, so you are right, eliminating registration is extremely important. Also keeping it as simple as possible, because this will be used by users who do not really know/care about the working of developers, but they are willing to contribute if you make it easy for them.

Another important thing is that your users won't use anything that doesn't speak their language. But if it does, you will drown in the useful bug reports :).

Regards
Gabor Kelemen