Re: Survey on bug tracking of software translations.

T , 2012-03-14 09:20 +0100, Olav Vitters rakstīja:
> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 12:59:03AM +0200, Rūdolfs Mazurs wrote:
> > I have noticed that advanced translation bug tracking is too difficult
> > to bother with in day to day use (at least for me) and I intend to
> > simplify this process by making simplified and specialized bug tracker
> > for translators. I was wondering, if other translators are having
> > similar issues and if my work would be of use for community.
>
> I suggest just extending the existing infrastructure. E.g. by writing a
> Bugzilla extension or enhancing Damned Lies (l10n.gnome.org). Within
> GNOME we already have damned-lies and Bugzilla. Yet another tracker (and
> thus account) isn't going to ease things.

Extending existing software or even better – finding an existing tracker
that meets the requirements – is preferable. There are two issues I can
foresee:
1) Most existing bug trackers require user registration. This could be
worked around by filing anonymous bug reports under some dummy user.
2) For more users, they don't necessarily know what to file the bug
under. If they have a Ubuntu machine and there is a bug in evince
translation, I doubt they will know that the file has to be filed under
"GNOME". If there is one thing a user will know for sure, it is the
target language. Also, it is much easier to market one place where a
user can file any free software complaint (only one place to remember)
than remember sites for tons of different projects.
So my initial idea was that this tracker ir language centric, not
project centric.

--
Rūdolfs Mazurs <rudolfs mazurs gmail com>