Re: legal notice must not translated?

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 06:29:37PM +0200, Johannes Schmid wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Am Mittwoch, den 28.04.2010, 23:01 +0700 schrieb Andika Triwidada:
> > On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 10:42 PM, Johannes Schmid <jhs jsschmid de> wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > I am not entirely sure if we set up a formal GNOME policy at least I
> > > couldn't find something in the wiki.
> > >
> > > But AFAIK this discussion came up from time to time and it is right that
> > > you must NOT translate legal notices because the software is licensed
> > > with the exact wording and not in any translation.
> > >
> > > Usually the legal notice (usually GPLv2 or v3) shouldn't be marked for
> > > translation.
> >
> > Umm, maybe I misunderstood what legal notice means.
> >
> > For instance, is this legal a notice?
> > http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-packagekit/tree/po/id.po#n1017
>
> OK, just to be clear: The GPL requires you to include the legal notice
> (in it's original form) to your program. So by translating it you are
> violating the GPL (giving that you see the translated program as
> "derived work").[1]

It is the question whether the transled program is a derived work. The
translation in most cases comes as a integral part of the program source
distribution... IANAL.

Just my €0.02.

| Marcel Telka   e-mail:   marcel telka sk  |
|                homepage: http://telka.sk/ |
|                jabber:   marcel jabber sk |