Re: legal notice must not translated?

Hi!

Am Mittwoch, den 28.04.2010, 23:01 +0700 schrieb Andika Triwidada:
> On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 10:42 PM, Johannes Schmid <jhs jsschmid de> wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I am not entirely sure if we set up a formal GNOME policy at least I
> > couldn't find something in the wiki.
> >
> > But AFAIK this discussion came up from time to time and it is right that
> > you must NOT translate legal notices because the software is licensed
> > with the exact wording and not in any translation.
> >
> > Usually the legal notice (usually GPLv2 or v3) shouldn't be marked for
> > translation.
>
> Umm, maybe I misunderstood what legal notice means.
>
> For instance, is this legal a notice?
> http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-packagekit/tree/po/id.po#n1017

OK, just to be clear: The GPL requires you to include the legal notice
(in it's original form) to your program. So by translating it you are
violating the GPL (giving that you see the translated program as
"derived work").[1]

This is different from translating the GPL (with a notice) as Claude
proposed because that clearly states it's not an official translation
and you have to include the english version.

Anyway, IANAL, but we have those in the GNOME Foundation and you might
also want to clearify that with the Free Software Foundation.

To the point if it's useful to a non-english speaker to have a english
notice - it's probably not but as you probably found out already, to do
the right thing and to follow the laws are two different things.

Regards,
Johannes

[1] 2c)  "If the modified program normally reads commands interactively
when run, you must cause it, when started running for such interactive
use in the most ordinary way, to print or display an announcement
including an appropriate copyright notice and a notice that there is no
warranty (or else, saying that you provide a warranty) and that users
may redistribute the program under these conditions, and telling the
user how to view a copy of this License. (Exception: if the Program
itself is interactive but does not normally print such an announcement,
your work based on the Program is not required to print an
announcement.)"