Re: legal notice must not translated?

Hi!

Ihar Hrachyshka <ihar hrachyshka gmail com>, Wed, 28 Apr 2010 15:29:13
+0300:

> I think if it's not intended to be translated then it shouldn't be put
> in translation files at all (like HTML tags, gconf key names etc.)

Well, when we look at commercially localized software, we see that those
types of strings tend to be internationalized, and thus localized. Surely,
the thing is that in commercial l10n, the given legal string l10n is
managed, not so surprisingly, by legal experts. As far as I know, vendors
like Red Hat or Novell also outsource professional legal text l10n in their
open source products that are otherwise not localized commercially. Then,
there's a world of community l10n, so...

> Anyway I'm interested in official GNOME position too.

I propose to contact gnome-legal, or e.g. the Software Freedom Law Center,
probably through the GNOME Foundation, as was already suggested.

The gnome-i18n is in my opinion not the right place to discuss legal
matters.

Cheers
Petr Kovar