Re: Automated translation into en_GB

Le mardi 27 janvier 2009 à 00:42 +0100, Kenneth Nielsen a écrit :
> 2009/1/26 Claude Paroz <claude 2xlibre net>:
> > Le lundi 26 janvier 2009 à 12:42 +0100, Kenneth Nielsen a écrit :
> >> I don't have much fate in anything autotranslated. One time that I
> >> proofread a translation that was autoupdated from a compendium and
> >> then supposedly read through by the translater I think I used more
> >> time on the proofreading than he did doing the translation. I suspect
> >> this is similar for most other languages and therefore I don't think
> >> it is a good idea to add functionality for it, that will just encurage
> >> bad translation practices. Any english looking language is a special
> >> case and should be treated as such.
> >
> > I suppose each language coordinator is experienced enough to judge this
> > himself :-)
>
> Sure, let me refraise it in a way so that I don't speak for anyone
> else. I personally don't think automated translations in any shape,
> way or form, have any justification in free software for any other
> languages than the english "derivatives". One could of course argue,
> that it will always be possible to people that don't give a damn to
> commit broken (possible automated) translations i.e. an automate
> pretranslations script in DL won't change that, however I do think
> there is a _availability_ argument in there also.
>
> In any case, my sole concerns with the previous e-mail was that before
> you (being one of the DL gurus) consider using any time on this (no
> matter how little) I think there should be maybe a couple of positive
> feedbacks first? Other than from the english family of languages,
> which can't cover more than 4 of our 118 languages. I think some of
> all the other stuff you guys are talking about doing with DL is way
> more important.

I understand your concern about automated translation, which is bad in
most cases. But apart english derivatives, this might be useful for
other language derivatives, or for transliteration (e.g. latin ->
cyrillic conversion).
That's why the functionality shouldn't be put aside without
consideration.

Claude