Re: Using Git and separating translations into their own l10n-LL repository

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 9:18 AM, Kenneth Nielsen <k nielsen81 gmail com> wrote:
> Hey Matej
>
> 2009/1/22 Matej Urban <matej urban gmail com>:
>>> Damned lies alrayde have the options download everything from a
>>> release set. Look all the way at the bottom of this page:
>>> http://l10n.gnome.org/languages/da/gnome-2-26/ui/
>>
>> Can I download all the pot files? I'm not aware of it.
>
> What do you need pot-files for? You will get updated po-files which is
> what you need if there already os a translation or a pot-files if
> there wasn't already one. And yes you can, just press the button that
> says "Download all po files" at the bottom of the page I just sent you
> a link for and you will get a tar-ball with all the Danish
> po/pot-files. I'm sure you can extrapolate that for you own language.

>>> Never, because we have a wordlist which we use pretty consistently
>>
>> That is something we still have to do. But "pretty consistently" tells
>> me, that it happens, right.
>>
>>> Why? It is a task, and as such will require work.
>>
>> Agreed! But work on translations, not with committing.
>
> That is part of the task.
>
>>> In any case, you have already been told that it is certainly possilble to add the
>>> option to upload several files at once in Damned Lies, in that case
>>> you both have the options to get all files easily and you can have the
>>> possibility to commit several files in  Damned Lies. The isn't that
>>> enough, isn't that exactly what you want, so that we can leave the
>>> repositories on their own and in a structure that makes sense i.e. one
>>> module-wise.
>>
>> It would be an improvement, but one folder system would be much
>> better.
>
> Why? If you can commit a tar-ball to Damned Lies with several files in
> it in one go (one clicky-di-click) and then they will all be commited
> at once, then isn't that exactly the functionality you are asking for?

The functionality of being able to submit a single file through the
web interface from Damned-lies and make it to GNOME SVN/GIT is not
available yet. The ability to submit several files would be an
addition to the previous task, and is not available yet either.

>>  I believe, that It should not be a big deal keeping the
>> structure intact and syncing the whole lot with single folder. Maybe
>> I'm wrong.
>
> From what I could read from the previous e-mails about how to use git
> with submodules, to link translations in form their own module, it
> will be significantly more complex.

'git submodule' is a functionality that was introduced to git quite recently,
and the process I described at the start of this thread was indeed
complex and most importantly error-prone. So the decision later on in
this thread was not to use 'git submodule', in the way described at
the start of the thread.

Simos