Re: What can Git do for translators?

On January 8th, Claude Paroz wrote:

> Le jeudi 08 janvier 2009 à 01:16 -0500, Thomas Thurman a écrit :
>> 2009/1/7 Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan <sharuzzaman gmail com>:
>> > What I care is my language po file. Maybe around 15KB.
>> >
>> > Why should I download the whole bunch of data while the one that I need is
>> > just a small fraction of it.
>>
>> Indeed, why should you?  You can get it from Damned Lies, can't you?
>
> The problem is when you want to commit (push) the result upstream. With
> svn you can just checkout the po directory. I fear this is not possible
> with git (or other DVCS).

On a slightly related note, with CVS, we were able to checkout only a
few files that we wanted to touch (po/ChangeLog po/sr.po po/LINGUAS)
and we were good to go.

As far as translators go, the more "advanced" the system, the worse
off they are.

> But until git is officially in production, we should have the time to
> develop the missing piece which is to commit directly from the uploaded
> po file on the 'vertimus' section of l10n.gnome.org.

Indeed, integration of commit features into damned-lies is the way to go.

Cheers,
Danilo