Re: What can Git do for translators?

Hi Simos,

I don't want to detract from this conversation, because I think
it's important to consider how this would impact all of Gnom's
contributors, including translators, documentation folks, etc.
A switch would have at least some impact on everybody, and we
need to know how to deal with problems.

But...

> Scenario A
> => Using command line tools, we add a translation to the main repository.
>
> Assume the repository is git://git.gnome.org/gnome-games.git
> we make a local copy by 'cloning' the repository ('checkout' is
> something different in git)
>
> git clone git://git.gnome.org/gnome-games.git
>
> This would create a very big tree, because it would make a full
> offline copy, with all the history for the last ten years or so. When
> we use SVN, a checkout of gnome-games is 124MB. The approximate size
> of a 'git clone' should be quite larger. My test with 'git-svn clone'
> was not conclusive (due to the way it works, it is very slow, I
> stopped after an hour, which it downloaded 74MB).

I want to first point out that it's slow because it's git-svn.
I don't want people to think it would be this terribly slow if
we were using git.  Cloning from a git server is quite fast.

More importantly, you'd be surprised at just how small a git
clone actually is.  I have both a git clone and an svn checkout
of gnome-doc-utils.  The svn checkout is 38MB.  The git clone
is 26MB.  Seriously, it's smaller.  And the git clone has more
commits that aren't in SVN yet.

--
Shaun