Re: What can Git do for translators?

That's look nice, but I don't really want to download about 75MB of data just to translate my language.

What I care is my language po file. Maybe around 15KB.

Why should I download the whole bunch of data while the one that I need is just a small fraction of it.

Remember, not all people have unlimited Internet connection. Some is being charged by the volume of data transferred. So asking translator to download the whole set of source is not practical.

Some people also have very slow connection. So they are only interested to get the file that is related to them, that can be fetched quickly even with slow connection. Big data will cause them to wait more.

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 10:22 AM, Simos Xenitellis <simos lists googlemail com> wrote:
On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 1:19 AM, Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org> wrote:
> Hi Simos,
>
> I don't want to detract from this conversation, because I think
> it's important to consider how this would impact all of Gnom's
> contributors, including translators, documentation folks, etc.
> A switch would have at least some impact on everybody, and we
> need to know how to deal with problems.
>
> But...
>
>> Scenario A
>> => Using command line tools, we add a translation to the main repository.
>>
>> Assume the repository is git://git.gnome.org/gnome-games.git
>> we make a local copy by 'cloning' the repository ('checkout' is
>> something different in git)
>>
>> git clone git://git.gnome.org/gnome-games.git
>>
>> This would create a very big tree, because it would make a full
>> offline copy, with all the history for the last ten years or so. When
>> we use SVN, a checkout of gnome-games is 124MB. The approximate size
>> of a 'git clone' should be quite larger. My test with 'git-svn clone'
>> was not conclusive (due to the way it works, it is very slow, I
>> stopped after an hour, which it downloaded 74MB).
>
> I want to first point out that it's slow because it's git-svn.
> I don't want people to think it would be this terribly slow if
> we were using git.  Cloning from a git server is quite fast.
>
> More importantly, you'd be surprised at just how small a git
> clone actually is.  I have both a git clone and an svn checkout
> of gnome-doc-utils.  The svn checkout is 38MB.  The git clone
> is 26MB.  Seriously, it's smaller.  And the git clone has more
> commits that aren't in SVN yet.

Hi Shaun,

This is the kind of information we need. That a possible move to git
will not cause issues with the current translation practices.

Therefore, for a coordinator that wants to update a translation the
manual way, the steps would be something like

1. Get a copy of the repository for the package (i.e. gnome-games)
$ git clone git://git.gnome.org/gnome-games.git
Initialized empty Git repository in /tmp/gnome-games/.git/
remote: Counting objects: 8728, done.
Receiving objects: 100% (8728/8728), 71541.07 KiB | 239 KiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (431/431), done.
$ _

2. Update the translation
$ cd gnome-games/po
$ intltool-update  el
<edit the PO file..>

3. Commit first the translation to the local copy of the repository.
$ git commit -a -m "Updated my translation"
Created commit 22783ff: Updated translation.
$ _

4. Push the change to the remote repository at git.gnome.org
$ git push
Counting objects: 5, done.
Compressing objects: 100% (3/3), done.
Writing objects: 100% (3/3), 316 bytes, done.
Total 3 (delta 2), reused 0 (delta 0)
To git git gnome org:simos/gnome-games.git
  ff4bf15..22783ff  el -> el
$ _

5. That's it!

A practical comparison between git and other DVCSs (and SVN) is at
http://www.whygitisbetterthanx.com/

Simos