Re: Adding WebKitGTK+ to the translation stats pages

Gabor Kelemen <kelemeng gnome hu>, Tue, 14 Apr 2009 13:16:03 +0200:

> Petr Kovar írta:

(...)

> > Oh really? ;-) Probably the better way to go would be to try to change
> > the current TP state, not just because it's being actively used by
> > some maintainers and translators. Just avoiding it in this case doesn't
> > improve the situation. So GNOME translators might want to start
> > discussion with the TP coordinators/admins about the future of the TP.
> >

> Sure, in general, this would be the way forward, but the question was
> not this. However, I think not choosing a bad solution helps in the case
> of a given module.

There's not just WebKitGTK+, and the question of handling other upstream
modules l10n may come in the future, so I think we should try to solve the
issues with upstream l10n infrastructure once for all. Also I believe that
now is the right time.

> >> Anything is better than that[1], for example the
> >> fake module above (just like with system-tools-backends) or the
> >>

> > I don't know the technical details, but if I understand it correctly you
> > don't necessarily work with the latest code (thus strings) in the case
> > of repository clone either. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
> >

> There is a slight difference between working on the code that was
> up-to-date yesterday and working on the code of the latest tarball.

Doesn't it depend on frequency, eventually? That is how often a maintainer
sync both repositories?

> >> Transifex instance hosted at Fedora[2], even with the privacy issues it
> >> has (i.e. translators have to sign a license agreement and give out
> >> personal details, which some people wouldn't like).
> >>

> > Yes, we had this discussion last year. That is, discussion about
> > avoiding the use of downstream infrastructure for upstream modules l10n.
> >

> For modules that are part of the core release. For external
> dependencies, well, those can use whatever they want. I don't know which
> of these is webkitgtk, if it wants to be part of the core soon (like
> before Gnome 3.0), then I'd suggest not using such services.

As far as I know, the Mozilla to WebKit migration is planned for GNOME
2.28. Then the question is, whether WebKit will be also used by other
downstream projects, or solely by GNOME. In the former case, usage of GNOME
l10n infrastructure might be seen as undesirable by some potential
contributors from other projects.

(Cleaned up cc list.)

Cheers
Petr Kovar