Re: Barriers for i18n/l10n in approved external depencedies

Luca Ferretti <elle uca libero it>, Tue, 14 Apr 2009 23:35:03 +0200:

> I was investigating the current status of Italian translations for
> some external deps of GNOME, mostly stuff hosted on freedesktop.org
>
> I found that some crucial stuff for GNOME (avahi, pulseaudio,
> shared-mime-info, but also packagekit) is using Fedora Trasifex[1] to

I assume shared-mime-info isn't accepting translations submitted via Fedora
Transifex, but still via the Translation Project. At least in the past, I
successfully updated translation for shared-mime-info using the latter one
infrastructure. Also see the following page, it states that it doesn't
"allow file submissions":

https://translate.fedoraproject.org/tx/projects/shared-mime-info/HEAD/

> manage transations. This also mean that you should be a Fedora
> Community member[2] in order to translate that shaded (i.e.
> cross-distro and cross-desktop) moduled.
>
> Note that Fedora Community asks you a SSH key, a GPG key, the signing
> of a Contributors License Agreement, your telephon number and postal
> address.

Yep, actually I was referring about these issues last year on
this list already. Nothing has changed, unfortunately.

> Can we, the GNOME Translation Project, try to lobby freedesktop.org
> asking to provide a proper infrastructure for translations of "shared"
> stuff (mostly hosted on freedesktop itself)?

Well, I'm afraid freedesktop.org in itself can't do anything in this case.
It's just an infrastructure, not a project.

> PS yes, I know about TP, but it seems that developers and maintainers
> don't like it :(

So please, first of all try to change the current state of the TP, so
everybody will love it. It's the Translation Project which is a proper
place for l10n of various upstream projects, unlike e.g. the GTP which is
connected to a downstream project, i.e. GNOME.

Trying to provide yet another l10n infrastructure means nothing but
reinventing the wheel.

Cheers
Petr Kovar