Re: Launchpad licensing issues

Hi Anna,

Am Donnerstag, den 03.07.2008, 17:39 +0000 schrieb Anna Jonna
Armannsdottir:
> Today, when I logged into Launchpad, the interface
> gave me an ultimatum, either convert all licenses of
> my translations to BSD license, or else all my translations
> will be removed from Launchpad.
>
> I think this will upset the way the icelandic translation team
> is working. When building up a team, this is the way to
> take it down.
>
> As a translator I always license my translations under the
> same license as the software itself. Anything else, is
> nonsense in my opinion.

AFAIK the BSD-License was chosen exactly to permit this. You can easily
relicense BSD-licensed code (translations as well) to (L)GPL. They chose
the BSD-License to be able to deal with upstreaming of translations
(read: pushing launchpad translations into the upstream projects).

Regards,
Sven