Re: Launchpad licensing issues

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 8:52 PM, Sven Herzberg <herzi gnome-de org> wrote:
> Hi Anna,
>
> Am Donnerstag, den 03.07.2008, 17:39 +0000 schrieb Anna Jonna
> Armannsdottir:
>> Today, when I logged into Launchpad, the interface
>> gave me an ultimatum, either convert all licenses of
>> my translations to BSD license, or else all my translations
>> will be removed from Launchpad.
>>
>> I think this will upset the way the icelandic translation team
>> is working. When building up a team, this is the way to
>> take it down.
>>
>> As a translator I always license my translations under the
>> same license as the software itself. Anything else, is
>> nonsense in my opinion.
>
> AFAIK the BSD-License was chosen exactly to permit this. You can easily
> relicense BSD-licensed code (translations as well) to (L)GPL. They chose
> the BSD-License to be able to deal with upstreaming of translations
> (read: pushing launchpad translations into the upstream projects).

No, it isn't. A person who owns the BSD code hasn't permitted anyone
to 'relicense' the code. So by default you don't have the right to do
what the code owner hasn't explicitly permitted to you. That's how the
copyright works. That's why the problem of OpenBSD vs. Linux Atheros
driver rose recently.