Re: Launchpad licensing issues

On fim, 2008-07-03 at 19:52 +0200, Sven Herzberg wrote:
> > As a translator I always license my translations under the
> > same license as the software itself. Anything else, is
> > nonsense in my opinion.
>
> AFAIK the BSD-License was chosen exactly to permit this. You can
> easily
> relicense BSD-licensed code (translations as well) to (L)GPL. They
> chose
> the BSD-License to be able to deal with upstreaming of translations
> (read: pushing launchpad translations into the upstream projects).

I only have translated GPL-ed software, so of course the license
of my translations is GPL. The GPL license has ample permissions
to allow anyone to distribute and change my translations, pushing
it into the upstream projects, or using it in other GPL projects.

I can not yet see any valid reason for having my efforts for Free
Software invalidated, so I respectfully disagree with this.

--
Anna Jonna Ármannsdóttir coordinator
The Icelandic GNOME Localisation team