Re: debug messages

On Thursday at 14:27, Goran Rakic wrote:

> У чет, 11. 10 2007. у 09:15 +0200, Claude Paroz пише:
>> I'm still not absolute sure this is a recommendation of gnome-i18n.
>> What
>> others on this list think about debug messages translation?
>
> If it is not presented in the main user UI and it does not contain any
> info for user to fix the problem without knowing application internals
> or looking in the code, I believe it should not be translated.

Which is the only hard-to-evaluate bit.  I'd just say on case-by-case basis.

>From Bryan's explanation, I am still not sure if this applies to these
messages or not.  If it's something a user would enable to be able to
find problems with their set up *on their own*, then they should be
translated.

If it's something which a bug triager/support asks you to enable and
post a log so they can help you with a problem, then they need no
translation.  We can consider these cryptic system properties, like
cat-ting /proc/bus/pci/devices or similar.

Also, if it's something which is supposed to be processed by another
tool, then it likely needs no translation either.

> Debug messages does not provide any additional usability (or they should
> not at least) so it's unnecessary work for translators.

Well, there is no reason to demand that those wanting to solve
trickier problems on their systems need to be good English speakers.
Unfortunately, that's the case right now with most software, but it
needs not stay that way.

Anyway, going from translated debug message to untranslated one is
really trivial, and if any maintainer needs help with that, I am sure
all of gnome-i18n would gladly help in doing "grep" on their
translation files :)

Cheers,
Danilo