Re: gtk+ based translation tool

Hi everyone!

On 7/26/07, Mohammad DAMT <mdamt gnome org> wrote:
On 7/26/07, gil forcada <gilforcada guifi net> wrote:
> I have renamed it to http://live.gnome.org/TranslationTool (all pages in
> a wiki follow the capitalisation rule ;)

I remember Sayamindu said that he has initiated a KBabel-like tool but
currently he is busy with his SoC project. I also has some ideas for
the tool as I wrote in my blog:

http://aksi.mdamt.net/guadec-2007-report

Sayamindu, have you put the codes in someplace?

The tool I have been working on (just basic editing features are
implemented actually...) is written in Python.
I'll try to cook up something usable/hackable by the end of the
weekend (currently I'm waiting for my flight back home at Dubai
airport), and upload it to some svn repository.
It's basically a tool with the following features in the immediate TODO list
1. Panel based layout for easy navigation between messages
2. Support for plural forms (ermm.. UI ideas would be appreciated)
3. Support for multiple formats using plugin type of system (currently
PO and MO files are supported) - I'm using POlib () to parse the
files.
4. Support for autotranslations using various "sources" - websites,
local databases, etc.
5. Storage of all messages that are translated for a particular
project in a Sqlite database (this is especially handy for languages
that do not have well defined glossaries/translation standards to
maintain consistency across PO files). Probably this would require an
import language data feature to take care of previous translations -
any ideas on how to do this in the sanest possible way would be great.
6. Integrated character picker (does someone know any easy to reuse
widget for this ??)

Ideas/comments/suggestions are welcome.
Cheers,
Sayamindu