Re: string freeze confusion

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006, Andre Klapper wrote:

> hmm. ok. after reading the bug report, i guess it's time to find a
> useful and clear definition of "by accident", i guess.

Accident is clear enough IMHO.  It's something that obviously
should have been marked for translation, but is not.

> i guess the message was not marked for translation because the developer
> did not expect a language to exist that needed to change the string "%s
> (%u)". so... "is ignorance also an accident?" :-)

There's the problem.  It's not really ignorance if somebody
didn't mark "%s (%u)" for translation.  Nobody knows that
something like this needs to be marked for translation, because
there's no rule saying so anywhere.  It was us (Roozbeh and I
basically) that decided we are going to ask all apps to mark
their format strings for translation whenever we need to use
Persian digits somewhere.  The point being: this really needs to
be documented somehwere.  So no, it's not ignorance.  It's lack
of docuentation.

> andre :-/

--behdad
http://behdad.org/