Re: New team for Iranian Azerbaijani (az_IR)

Hi Roozbeh, Pablo,

Today at 16:30, Roozbeh Pournader wrote:

> We may be asking the wrong question here. We should not decide for the
> user, she should decide for herself. The default, should be the same for
> every possible language (like proper naming of locales, and fallback to
> English) to make things more predictable.

"pt_BR" falls back to "pt".  Our sample is small, so this shouldn't be
considered a deviation or exception.  If we had "es_MX", it would also
fall back on "es", I suppose.  If we decided to start "sr_BA", it should
fall back to "sr".  So, you're talking about non-existent rule, from
my POV.

The question Pablo is trying to raise here is very practical: would
"az_IR" users mind seeing "az" (Azerbaijani in Latin script) so much
that we should rename all the PO files *right now*?  We're all aware
of what we've got: scripts are different, languages are the same;
another alternative fallback has again the different script, and is in
a different language.

We don't need a perfect answer, and if the answer is that nobody
knows for sure, lets keep a status-quo, at least until someone
(probably az_IR user) complains, and it (complaining) becomes common.

Cheers,
Danilo