Re: New team for Iranian Azerbaijani (az_IR)

Now, if your comment was meant to ask why to favour latin script
over arabic script; well, the fact is that, either there is a
translation, and the user will see that translation, and everything
will be nice and good; or there isn't a translation, in which
case, the default is to show the compiled in text, which is
in English and in latin script.

My point about my comments was to open up for a new solution to the problem!
As Roozbeh P. mentioned earlier there are more Azeri speaking in Iran using Arabic characters for read/write than Azeris in the republic of Azerbaijan. Iranian Azeris has Persian (Farsi) as their second speaking/writing language so fallback to Persian comes quite naturally to them!

So, as when there is *no translation available* the user will be
shown text in latin script no matter what; then maybe it would
make more sense to show a rendition in latin script of their language
rather than English.

Again, we are not discussing about Azeris in the republic of Azerbaijan who are comfortable with latin!

> fa_KU and fa_TU

It is the other way: <language code>_<COUNTRY CODE>.

"KU" and "TU" country codes don't exist.

Sorry, I didn't know what locale Kurdish and Turkman have! However I see a problem with Kurdish which has special (Arabic) characters and requires special font.

> In this case the fallback will be fa which will not be a problem för
> Azeris, kurds and turkmans to read dispite latin az and för untranslated
> strings will be the english!

Ok, I see your point, you want to create false locale names like
"fa_AZ" etc. so that the fallback would be "fa"
(in other words, you want "az_IR:fa" fallback, without the automatic
libc az_IR->az handling).

It would work; but it would be a gross violation of standard naming
of locales; I'm strongly opposed to that.

Not if we see (or assume) Azari (with arabic characters) as a flavour of Persian, which speaks in the republic of Azerbaijan, like flavours of the English, en_US, en_UK, en_CA etc...

well again, it was just a thought ;-)

Rgds
Abbas

Chatt: Träffa nya nätkompisar på Habbo Hotel http://habbohotel.msn.se/habbo/sv/channelizer