Re: More than 400 new strings inside gnome-control-center

sön 2004-01-25 klockan 23.38 skrev Carlos Perelló Marín:
> > > If you decide that it's better forget those strings until GNOME 2.8, Do
> > > you agree that we add the capplet without translations? (that could
> > > bring bug reports about untranslated strings, that's why I'm asking it
> > > also).
> >
> > Well, "without translations" could very well be inside another
> > translation domain. Is it an option at all to use
> >   dgettext("iso_3166",...)
> > and similar functions?
>
> Yes it's an option.
>

> > If there's no translation in the domain iso_3166, then "without
> > translations" is fullfilled.  So, you're not requiring it, but you're
> > able to make use of it if it's present.  This is just like what is
> > done with "unicode-translation" and gucharmap, I think.
>
> I will do it, but it will not work always, only if GNOME and the
> iso-codes package are installed inside the same prefix, or perhaps
> adding a configure test that looks for the iso-codes' pkgconfig script
> to know the prefix and fallback to GNOME prefix if it's not found...
>

> > I think this is by far the best option, because it lets anybody
> > have translations, and doesn't have any negative impact on our
> > translation work.
>
> Ok, it's a valid option for me. It's not the best one but it's better
> than zero translations :-)

I think this sounds like the best option, at least for now. When it's
GNOME 2.8 times you can then add a proper dependency on the iso packages
that are being translated at the Translation Project.

(And if the status pages support it by then we can even track the status
of those from the GNOME translation status pages. :)

Just my opinion,