Re: More than 400 new strings inside gnome-control-center

Carlos Perelló Marín <carlos@gnome.org> writes:

> I have two answers and both are against the addition (I'm not 100% sure
> with Danilo's answer because my poor english "I'm not for nor
> against...", I think that's just your are against it, right?, sorry too
> much negations for me :-P). I will wait for more answers before the
> commit.

Heh, no, I don't mind them being included. After all, Serbian is
pretty well translated, so I don't have to worry about that. ;)

I just say that it's not really clear what's the best option to be
chosen now.  Yes, I want your localization applet (it's very relevant
to everything we're doing here), but I don't want us to put (other)
translators up to too much work.

> If you decide that it's better forget those strings until GNOME 2.8, Do
> you agree that we add the capplet without translations? (that could
> bring bug reports about untranslated strings, that's why I'm asking it
> also).

Well, "without translations" could very well be inside another
translation domain. Is it an option at all to use
  dgettext("iso_3166",...)
and similar functions?

If there's no translation in the domain iso_3166, then "without
translations" is fullfilled.  So, you're not requiring it, but you're
able to make use of it if it's present.  This is just like what is
done with "unicode-translation" and gucharmap, I think.

I think this is by far the best option, because it lets anybody
have translations, and doesn't have any negative impact on our
translation work.

Cheers,
Danilo