Re: More than 400 new strings inside gnome-control-center

El dom, 25-01-2004 a las 21:43, Danilo Segan escribió:
> Arafat Medini <lumina@silverpen.de> writes:
>
> > ...and then do a work which will be obsolete anyway ?!
>
> It won't be obsolete, it will be transferred someplace else (into
> another module). Just like no translation was wasted because
> translators translated Gtk+ in its entirety before it was split into
> two translation domains, I expect here to be the same case.

Right.

> > I know as an Arabic translatator that gnome is not wide-spread in the
> > Arabic region so I know translating these 400 strings will harm myself
> > and the Arabic support for maybe not being 100% (or being it with more
> > work I have to invest) but it will not have any benefit on the languages
> > region, this applies for many other languages don't forget that the
> > majority of languages are of regions where gnome is not really
> > wide-spread.
>
> This 400 messages is less than 2% of entire translation. This means
> that you may well not translate them at all, and still get into the
> group of supported languages in Gnome (which is one milestone; the
> other is getting to 100%).
>
> Since we're talking about country names, I'd suggest you to copy
> English names as "translations" (C-j in Emacs po-mode), except in a
> few cases where Arabic is official language.  Then, once you find some
> time, you'd be able to translate the rest, and this addition would
> not have a bad effect on your translation status.
>
> I don't understand the relation of "Gnome-widespreadness" with any of
> this, so it'd be nice if you explained it a bit more.
>
> > So this whole talk leads me to my big concern: why do I have to invest
> > work on strings which will be duplicated?! 400 strings are much...
>
> Sure they are much. But this is the issue of having them localized at
> all, or not having them localized.  There are a lot of problems that
> we have started fixing only recently (like the inclusion of iso639
> and iso3166 domains on TP), so we've got a chicken-and-egg problem
> here: if we don't advocate this, nobody will bother to translate. If
> nobody bothers to translate, we'd never have an option to include
> them, because they'll always be a lot of untranslated messages.

They will be translated for GNOME 2.8 just because if you don't accept
the strings for GNOME 2.6 they will be ready to translate as soon as
gnome-control-center branches for GNOME 2.7 we are talking about the
amount of new strings now because we are close to GNOME 2.6 release. But
yes, you are right, the strings will be translated soon, you should
"only" decide when do you want to do it.

> > On the sidenote, we can't really "reuse" existing translations, the only
> > way (at least for me) was to use an auto-translator which is not
> > accurate which made me go the strings again anyway...
> >

> Reusing is possible if you (or someone else) have translated iso639
> and iso3166 domains via Translation Project.
>
> Other modules in Gnome did have at one time or the other some country
> names, but none of them really had a complete list.
>

> And finally, I'm not for nor against this inclusion at this time. I
> understand the value it would bring, but I understand the troubles
> for translators as well. So, this is certainly a welcome addition,
> but I'm just not sure if it's welcome at *this* particular moment.

I know it's not the best moment, that's why I'm asking you before adding
them.

I have two answers and both are against the addition (I'm not 100% sure
with Danilo's answer because my poor english "I'm not for nor
against...", I think that's just your are against it, right?, sorry too
much negations for me :-P). I will wait for more answers before the
commit.
If you decide that it's better forget those strings until GNOME 2.8, Do
you agree that we add the capplet without translations? (that could
bring bug reports about untranslated strings, that's why I'm asking it
also).

Cheers.