Re: Klingon localization of GNOME

C J Fynn wrote:
> "d'Armond Speers, Ph.D." <dspeers@taxonomy-inc.com> wrote:
>
>> There are definitely Klingon speakers.  I use Klingon daily (reading,
>> writing, speaking, thinking).  But you're correct; because Klingon
>> is not used as a first/primary language by anyone, translating an
>> environment like GNOME is just done for fun; if it's out there, I'm
>> sure Klingon speakers would enjoy it.
>
> It seems like a heck of a lot of work for a little bit of enjoyment.
>
> There are hundreds of human languages left to translate - helping to
> get GNOME localised for some of these languages can be useful for
> people in developing nations and maybe help narrow the "digital
> divide".
>
> We all need a bit of fun sometimes, but personally I think that
> learning different languages of fellow humans is probably a far
> better use ones of time and effort than learning something like
> Klingon would be - and it can be fun too. With the world the way is
> today, the more we can communicate with and understand fellow humans
> in their own languages the better.

Hey, I don't criticize your hobbies.  I can't help out with localizaiton to
other languages, because I don't speak other languages (except for ASL,
which I has other localization challenges).  I agree that it is a lot of
work for just for the fun of it, but I disagree that having Klingon speakers
put in that work will thus reduce available translators for other languages.

> regards
>
> - Chris

d'Armond Speers, Ph.D.
dspeers@taxonomy-inc.com