Re: Klingon localization of GNOME

"d'Armond Speers, Ph.D." <dspeers@taxonomy-inc.com> wrote:

> tlhIngan Hol jatlhwI'pu' tu'lu'bej.  Hoch jaj tlhIngan Hol vIlo', vIjatlh,
> vIlaD, 'ej vIQub.  'ach bIlugh; Hol wa'DIch 'oHbe'mo' ghaytanHa' De'wI'
> patvam poQ tlhIngan Hol jatlhwI'.  'ach 'oHchugh wItIvbej.

> There are definitely Klingon speakers.  I use Klingon daily (reading,
> writing, speaking, thinking).  But you're correct; because Klingon is not
> used as a first/primary language by anyone, translating an environment like
> GNOME is just done for fun; if it's out there, I'm sure Klingon speakers
> would enjoy it.

It seems like a heck of a lot of work for a little bit of enjoyment.

There are hundreds of human languages left to translate - helping to get GNOME
localised for some of these languages can be useful for people in developing
nations and maybe help narrow the "digital divide".

We all need a bit of fun sometimes, but personally I think that learning
different languages of fellow humans is probably a far better use ones of time
and effort than learning something like Klingon would be - and it can be fun
too. With the world the way is today, the more we can communicate with and
understand fellow humans in their own languages the better.

regards

- Chris