Re: Typos in eog.schemas.in

Hi Kjartan,

Kjartan Maraas <kmaraas@broadpark.no> writes:

> My opinion on breaking string freeze is as follows:
>
> - no changes to non-visible strings (schemas, atk descriptions etc)
> - approval needed for changing strings visible in the GUI (still not
> recommended to do so of course)
> - marking existing strings for translation is ok (this is probably the
> most controversial one to some)
>
> How do others feel about this?

I pretty much agree with you, though not unconditionally on the last,
"controversial" point :).  I'd be for something like: it's ok to mark
accidentaly left unmarked strings in the first week (or whatever is
the period you called 'soft freeze' earlier), and after that, they
need approval as well.

As for the GUI strings, I'd still hardly oppose any typo fixes —
we've got two choices: either leave a mistake in one English message,
or submit >fourty translators to fixing all of their translations,
with the risk of some not being updated in time.  So, perhaps there's
place for soft freeze here as well — in that period, typo fixes are
allowed, after that, only in very specific circumstances.

Of course, it'd probably be nice to have some kind of approval like
release team does ("two approvals is good enough", with probably a
higher number of required votes), without having to depend on
Christian Rose being available at all times (not that I have any
problems with his decisions; he may sometime be unavailable just like
a week or so ago, and we as a community want to keep going during
that time).

Cheers,
Danilo