Re: Extended locale codes (was Re: Wonder if Matupi in Daai ???)

Kaixo!

On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 08:14:59PM +0200, Danilo Segan wrote:

> >There is also now Uzbek (uz: latin, uz@Cyrl: cyrillic)
>
> Sorry, I must have missed that.

It's very very new :)

In fact MDK and probably Gnome translations are in latin,
KDE in cyrillic; latin is official encoding, but cyrillic is the
actually used one.

So, there is clearly a need for both encodings, and, based on what
you did for Serbian, I proposed to use uz/uz@Cyrl

> So, we already have a pattern that we follow.

I followed the same pattern you set, indeed.

> Then, it might be a good
> idea to wait on official POSIX proposition for script identifiers
> before we opt for any change.

The problem is not much the script identifiers (it is "Latn" and "Cyrl",
no problem here); but how to ptu that information into the locale name.
As currently the locale name format is ll[_CC[.EEEE]][@xxxxx]
and as ll, CC and EEEE are already defined and have no place for
script information, then xxxxx is the only place where to put that
info for now.

And I'm happy you set the sr/sr@Latn way; because if for Serbian it could
still be possible to use sp/sr, or sr/sh; it wouldn't have been
possible to do similar tricks in other cases.

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga

http://chanae.walon.org/pablo/		PGP Key available, key ID: 0xD9B85466
[you can write me in Walloon, Spanish, French, English, Italian or Portuguese]

PGP signature