Re: Wonder if Matupi in Daai ???

ons 2003-07-09 klockan 11.54 skrev russell kyaw:
> I got the message you sent. Following the Websites you mentioned I
> found out that Matupi is included as a region under Chin, Daai
> (together with Paletwa, Kanpetiet townships) as a language of Myanmar
> . Then I get confused on these. Actually Matupi is a township of Chin
> State. But it has it owns language and dialects different from others.
> In my understanding what we called Daai is a bit different from the
> language spoken in Matupi township, is it not possible for matupi to
> include as a language? I expect for your suggestion and feedback what
> I should do next and which should I follow for my translation.

It's unfortunate that Matupi doesn't have its own ISO-639-1 or ISO-639-2
language code, since we pretty much use those everywhere, both in GNOME
for translations but also in locale naming in general. But I guess we
could use "sit@Matupi" for now.

The ideal thing would of course be if Matupi could be officially
assigned an ISO 639 language code of its own. If you have the
possibility to do such a request, you can have a look at what's required
on http://lcweb.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/ and follow the instructions.
Otherwise, we'll just use sit@Matupi for now.

The other thing is with glibc locale definitions -- I don't know if a
working locale definition in glibc is required for things to work. Keld
knows about all these issues, perhaps he can help. Keld?

In any case, you can start by subscribing to this list ;-) (You can do
that on http://lists.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gnome-i18n/).

>  If the mentioned one [Chin, Daai] is the one to be accepted, it is
> necessary to translate into Matupi or some one has already done it?

There's no effort for translating GNOME into any of those yet. You're
the first :)