Extended locale codes (was Re: Wonder if Matupi in Daai ???)

четвртак, 10. јул 2003. 19:12:12 CEST — Danilo Segan написа:

> Also, I'll have to look how do these fit with POSIX locales, and if
> that's suitable, I'd be delighted to use them.

Actually, it seems these[1] codes do conflict with POSIX locale
definitions as per [2] (thanks, Noah).

For instance, it would seem strange to set the locale as:
LC_COLLATE=de-DE-1906_DE@dict

Perhaps in this particular case it would seem more reasonable to use
"de-1906_DE@dict" (no need to repeat the country specifier). Because of
this, it's clear they were not selected for this purpose, so it might
be a better idea to wait for the script identifiers in POSIX locales
(Keld mentioned them, right?).

Still, since we're already special casing some languages (in Gnome it's
Serbian, in Glibc, there are a few more), maybe this is a good starting
point (to be used as reference when there's no other "reference
material"). Can anyone more into this (I'm familiar only with the
problems of Serbian language usage, so noone should rely on me ;-)
comment?

Cheers,
Danilo

[1]http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-tags