Re: run dialog vs gnome_vfs_url_show

mån 2003-08-25 klockan 22.35 skrev Dafydd Harries:
> Attached is a patch. It changes 30 strings (long + short for 3 keys each
> for 5 URL types). Of those, ten are identical. It makes consistent the
> use of "command" vs. "program", fixes punctuation in long descriptions,
> and generally makes the descriptions more consistent (and what I
> consider to be) more usable.
>
> I know this is quite a few changes, but if Alexander's changes are being
> committed and the strings are to be improved, this patch represents how
> I think the strings would be ideally. I am open to suggestions.
>
> I want to reiterate that I only think changes should be made with the
> full support of the release team and the translation team.

I don't think we should go down the slippery slope of "some messages
were added/changed during the freeze, let's change/fix/improve all of
them while we're at it". We have a freeze for a purpose, not just for
the fun of claiming we have one.

In general, I don't think "let's do this for later 2.4.x releases" is
sustainable either -- many teams seem to update their GNOME translations
for an imminent GNOME release only once. There might be many reasons for
this, but one part of that may be that many teams are very small and do
translations for a lot of other projects as well (KDE, OpenOffice.org,
Mozilla, etc.), so they don't really have the resources to update and
focus on GNOME translations all the time.
Changing messages very, very late or even after GNOME 2.4.0 would mean
we're ruining their effort for very little gain -- we might as well just
focus on making 2.5.x better instead of fiddling with 2.4.x messages
this late in the game.

In other words, I think the suggested schema string changes in your
patch are excellent and very much needed, but definately only 2.5.x
material; changes that should be applied to libgnome HEAD only after
branching for 2.4.

So please put your patch in bugzilla in case you haven't already, so we
remember to do this for 2.5.x.