Re: run dialog vs gnome_vfs_url_show

> I just checked this in. It will mean some new, non-visible mostly lame
> strings. I'm sorry about this, but i wasn't able to make the strings
> untranslated.

I am not feeling very happy.

Personally, I think they should have been added. And I do think that if
they were added, they should have been made translatable. The whole
point of the i18n/l19n effort is so that *all* user-visible strings are
translatable.

However, I do *not* think that they should have been added without the
consent of the release team and the i18n team. As far as I understand,
the consent of neither was obtained.

And I do not think that the messages were particularly well-written.

<short>How to handle http URLs</short>
<long>Set to true to have a program specified in command handle http URLs
</long>

"How" is not appropriate for a boolean option, and the description does not
match the long description. The long description, and, as such, should be
finished by a full stop ("period" / "."). "command", as it refers to a key name
and hence should not be translated, should be enclosed in double quotes.

<short>URL handler for http uris</short>
<long>URL handler for http uris</long>

This is confusing. Are they URLs or URIs? In any case, URI should be in
uppercase, and possibly HTTP too. Again, the long description should be
properly punctuated. There are similar problems with the strings for
HTTPS handlers.

I do recognize the need to break the string freeze occasionally, but when it
happens, extra care should be taken with the changes being made. Shoddy,
unapproved changes very late into the freeze are not acceptable.

--
Dafydd