Re: Time to move GGV to the Attic?

On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 04:02:09PM +0100, Ross Burton wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 16:22 +0200, Petr Tomasek wrote:
> > a) evince doesn't have the option of "automaticaly reload document
> > if changed"
>
> There was a bug for this, but I think it was closed as you can't
> reliably tell when a changing file will stop being changed.   Pressing
> Control-R isn't too difficult though.

That's one more step e.g. when creating documents using TeX and
is quite annoying.
BTW, if ggv managed it without problems, why shouldn't evince?

> > with the overall slowness of evince it makes very hard to find
> > particular part of the document on older machines...)
>
> I have page numbers in the side bar for both thumbnail and index view,
> so I obviously don't understand what you mean.

a) Do you really speak about postscript files? In evince 0.5.4
I have the sidebar empty with PS (there are even no thumbnails).

> > c) evince doesn´t let one move the document by dragging the mouse
> > (even if in the case of postscript it cannot select the text neither).
>
> Middle-drag, same as Gimp.

With mouse that have wheels this is not comfortable.
(For example the Acrobat Reader, or DjView does it right: it
lets the user choose what action will be done on click[&drag])

> > Well the worst what evince does is actually not with postscript,
> > but with djvu. It is a) many times slower than djview (since evince
> > loads several pages at once while djview displays only what is needed)
>
> The reading non-visible pages shouldn't have a noticable effect on the
> user, it should be doing that in the background.  File a bug.

But it IS SLOW! Much slower than djview.
(And: why should I file a bug against evince, if I'm not interrested
in using it? The other tools - djview, ggv - are for me much better...)

> > b) when I tried to install evince for FC3 it registered itself
> > as the default viewer for djvu files and didn't let me change it.
> > So this is quite arrogant behaviour, thus evince has no place on my desktop
> > anymore...
>
> Right click on a djvu file and in Properties -> Open With you can change
> the default.  That isn't an Evince thing but probably due to Djview not
> installing a freedesktop MIME type, and Evince is.

No. With djview it was working ok, but as soon as installed evince,
it CHANGED my preference (this is why I so hated the MSIE in the old times)
and from that point it wasn't possible to change it againt wiht
Properties -> Open (maybe it had something to do with the evince thumbnailer,
don't know).

--
Petr Tomasek <http://www.etf.cuni.cz/~tomasek>