Re: Time to move GGV to the Attic?

On Mon, 2006-17-07 at 17:23 -0400, Tomislav Vujec wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-07-17 at 11:34 -0600, Andreas J. Guelzow wrote:
> > Having not seen a single code change in a year can be a _good_thing!
> > I prefer the look and feel of evince but find myself frequently using
> > ggv because evince can't handle things correctly. SO implying that an
> > "actively developed" program is necessarily better for the users is
> > ridiculous!
>
> I agree. But I don't think that anyone is suggesting that evince is
> better than GGV because it is being actively developed. GGV is not being
> _maintained_, therefore no one is doing any source code modification,
> therefore it doesn't need an active source code repository.
>
> However, since someone might want to pick it up in the future, it is
> being _archived_, not _removed_.
>
> I am sorry, but I just can't see how's your protesting against
> _archival_ of GGV going to help either Evince or GGV? Or did you miss
> the point?

I don't think I missed the point. From the practical point of source
maintenance there is no reason to oppose archive ggv. I am worried about
the signal this sends to packagers though: GNOME considers ggv outdated
and it should not be distributed anymore.

> > Well, I have received enough "works for us...must be your
> > set-up...NOTABUG" responses or no response at all that I have given up
> > on filing bugs on anything of the core GNOME desktop and developer
> > platform. I am sure others feel likewise.
>
> Now this topic might need broader discussion, but it certainly doesn't
> have anything to do with initial proposal.

Neither of course has the suggestion that one should file more bugs
against evince. And it was that suggestion I replied to.

>  There are just too many
> modules in the gnome CVS to be able to navigate it in any useful way,
> and keeping inactive projects there is not helping anyone.

How do you navigate in Gnome CVS? I have never found the existence of
modules that I am not interested in as hindering me in finding what I am
looking for.

Of course I realize that it already has been moved so I am really just
wasting everybody's time.

Andreas