Re: Time to move GGV to the Attic?

Not to flame or troll, but there was a mention of several glaring
functional issues with GGV's replacement Evince, and a plethora of
bugs filed against evince. However, out of curiosity, I entered this
query into bugzilla

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=Guelzow&product=evince&long_desc_type=substring&long_desc=&status_whiteboard_type=allwordssubstr&status_whiteboard=&keywords_type=allwords&keywords=&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&bug_status=NEEDINFO&bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=VERIFIED&bug_status=CLOSED&resolution=FIXED&resolution=WONTFIX&resolution=DUPLICATE&resolution=NOTABUG&resolution=NOTGNOME&resolution=INCOMPLETE&resolution=INVALID&resolution=GNOME1.x&resolution=MOVED&resolution=OBSOLETE&resolution=NOTXIMIAN&resolution=---&emailassigned_to1=1&emailtype1=substring&email1=&emailassigned_to2=1&emailreporter2=1&emailqa_contact2=1&emailcc2=1&emailtype2=substring&email2=&bugidtype=include&bug_id=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=Now&chfieldvalue=&cmdtype=doit&order=Reuse+same+sort+as+last+time&field0-0-0=noop&type0-0-0=noop&value0-0-0=

and maybe I misformatted it or something, but the result was a Zarro
Boogs Found....

I don't mean to attack, but what exactly are these major issues? I
don't want to thread hijack, and maybe you did file several bugs, and
I just never found them. But I am curious, so I request a moment of
humoring for my sake.

Althought I would ask, please be nice, there is no need to trash
developers who have worked hard and long on a product, please be
constructive with this feedback, you have an open ear, I honestly want
to know what has gotten you so angered about Evince.

On 7/18/06, Ross Burton <ross burtonini com> wrote:
On Mon, 2006-07-17 at 16:03 -0600, Andreas J. Guelzow wrote:
> I don't think I missed the point. From the practical point of source
> maintenance there is no reason to oppose archive ggv. I am worried about
> the signal this sends to packagers though: GNOME considers ggv outdated
> and it should not be distributed anymore.

I can't think of a distribution that was released after Evince became
usable and ships GGV over Evince.  Packagers would be very interesting
in knowing that the software is unmaintained anyway: if they ship it,
they have to fix the bugs.  A preferable option is switching to the
maintained alternative.

Ross
                                          jabber: ross burtonini com
                                     www: http://www.burtonini.com./