Re: Time to move GGV to the Attic? (Was: Subversion migration recap (cut-off Friday July 14th))

On Mon, 2006-17-07 at 17:14 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-07-17 at 17:41 +0200, Petr Tomasek wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 09:20:51AM -0400, Kevin Kubasik wrote:
> > > I think that's more an issue with envice than if we should retire the
> > > ggv module. ggv development is more or less dead (near as I can tell)
> > > and envice is its replacement. If there are features that you want to
> > > see Incorporated into envice, I would recommend filing a bug.
> > >
> > > Here is the CIA Stats for ggv
> > > http://cia.navi.cx/stats/project/gnome/ggv
> > >
> > > You will notice that the last change to any actual code was May 10th,
> > > 2005 and you have to go back significantly before that to find active
> > > feature development. If the ggv module owner wants to keep it active,
> > > then I guess that's all cool, but barring someone for the ggv devel
> > > team speaking up, I would say attic time...
> > >

> > GGV just works. Evince sucks. So you want to drop ggv just
> > because it is "actively developed"?
>
> That's constructive. GGV hasn't seen a single code change in a year, and
> is unmaintained.

Having not seen a single code change in a year can be a _good_thing!
I prefer the look and feel of evince but find myself frequently using
ggv because evince can't handle things correctly. SO implying that an
"actively developed" program is necessarily better for the users is
ridiculous!

> Feel free to pick up GGV and revive it, that's why we're moving it to
> the archive repo, and not running "rm -rf" on it.
>
> In the meanwhile, please vent your frustration in some other way. I'm
> sure filing bugs against Evince would help for example.

Well, I have received enough "works for us...must be your
set-up...NOTABUG" responses or no response at all that I have given up
on filing bugs on anything of the core GNOME desktop and developer
platform. I am sure others feel likewise.

Andreas

--
Andreas J. Guelzow, Professor
Dept. of Mathematical & Computing Sciences