Re: Menus

Khimenko Victor <gnome-gui@khim.sch57.msk.ru> wrote:
> Problem with grayed items are completely non-related to custmizable (by admin)
> menus. But since grayed item usually means "this feature non-applicable here"
> (something "Paste" command when clipboard is empty) this is not so consistent
> design.

one could make it a different shade of grey, or use a stroke-out font or a
million other possibilities. the point is that it's gotta be visible.

> This looks like try to make tantalizing feeling for customer: this
> feature here and you could use it if.... if what ? If you'll go to admin with
> BIG hammer or if you'll crack system, perhaps ? Not good design.

think about a netscape version installed at a public access terminal. you
know netscape. you would be at least temporarily confused if its menus would
suddenly look totally different.

> If I'll be
> deprived of some features I'll be content in most cases but if each time when
> I'll try to use menu I'll be reminded that I'm expilictly bereft of some
> features... I bet sysamins will be unhappy with such design since this will
> GREATLY raise noise level from users...

you can always edit the source...

		-- Henry Spencer