Re: Menus

Gelder <gelderk@natlab.research.philips.com> wrote:
> > I assume that administrators are quite capable to disable three lines in the
> > sourcecode to take out menu items they don't want. this is something where
> > customized menus are useful, like public internet terminals or suchlike. but
> > in most of these cases, you have to edit in the source anyway.
>
> Well, then imagine a new type of terminal being installed. Instead of
> hacking through all the source-codes for all programs that are
> suitable for that terminal, the administrator creates a new version of
> the configuration, changes once what needs to be changed and is done
> for all programs.

accepted, this makes sense. but (you knew there is a "but", didn't you? :) )
it's a far call from total customizability. this is more like selectively
greying out (disabling) menu items.

and I DO think they should be greyed out instead of removed. consistency and
all that, plus impression. (the "geez, I would use this prog at home if it
could only do this and that..." - it can. it should be visible that it can)

		-- Henry Spencer