Re: Menus

you knew i was going to throw two bits into this thread somewhere,
didn't you? :)

Tom Vogt wrote:
> Gelder <gelderk@natlab.research.philips.com> wrote:
> > Well, then imagine a new type of terminal being installed. Instead of
> > hacking through all the source-codes for all programs that are
> > suitable for that terminal, the administrator creates a new version of
> > the configuration, changes once what needs to be changed and is done
> > for all programs.
>
> accepted, this makes sense. but (you knew there is a "but", didn't you? :) )
> it's a far call from total customizability. this is more like selectively
> greying out (disabling) menu items.

this is a feature request, though, and not really a style guide mandate.
if some code shows up in the near future, cool; i'll look for it on
gnome-list. for now, though:

> and I DO think they should be greyed out instead of removed. consistency and
> all that, plus impression. (the "geez, I would use this prog at home if it
> could only do this and that..." - it can. it should be visible that it can)

aye, this is good design because, as you said, it's quite consistent,
and best presents the available functions (applicable to the current
mode or not) to the user in an easy-to-understand way. unfortunately
this is also something of a feature-request since some library somewhere
is going to have to take into account that themeable gtk+ means that no
matter _what_ color or shade you make unavailable menu choices, somebody
will make a theme with the menu backgrounds exactly that color. best
solution, of course, is to make the disabled color themeable too. anyway
i don't think this code exists yet so maybe it isn't even an option...?
--
| To ensure privacy and data integrity this message |