Re: [gnome-flashback] Issues with gnome-flashback on Ubuntu 16.04

On Sat, Dec 5, 2015 at 7:42 PM, Dmitry Shachnev <mitya57 ubuntu com> wrote:
>> a) Dmitry, do we need to stick with the Ubuntu indicators?
>>  * The language indicator is semi-broken.
>>  * Pidgin, thunderbird etc indicators don't show up.
>>  * The "Add event" in the date/time indicator doesn't work.
>>
>> Did I understand it correctly that if we switch to whatever
>> gnome-flashback has by default, things will work fine again?
>
> The main problem here is that upstream gnome-flashback use deprecated
> GtkStatusIcon. To see these icons we need notification-area applet added to
> panel, but... We don't want to use that applet nor GtkStatusIcons. My plan
> is to write new library for status notifier specification and port all
> GtkStatusIcons to it.

Right, I want to avoid using the old tray. If upstream gnome-flashback
switches to StatusNotifier based tray, I'll use it then.

This is not "if" question, but "when". I finally sent mail to xdg list about changes that I want to see in Status Notifer spec, but after sending mail I already think that it needs to more methods in Watcher service - UnregisterItem and UnregisterHost, but I will send about it when I will get some response to first mail.

So plan is:
1) Wait until my changes are accepted as is or with some other changes if someone will disagree with me.
2) Develop new library that will work with new/updated specification.
3) Add watcher service in gnome-flashback
4) Port GtkStatusIcons in gnome-flashback to StatusNotifier.
5) Develop new applet for StatusNotifier Items.

6) Port GtkStatusIcon in notification-daemon to StatusNotifier. Most likely when I will do it I will also add GTK+ notification support. (I have not decided, but I might stop maintaining notification-daemon as standalone project and merge it in gnome-flashback)

All this requires time and currently I have no free time... :(