Re: [gnome-flashback] Issues with gnome-flashback on Ubuntu 16.04

Hi all,

Can you try this:
- set org.gnome.gnome-flashback.input-sources to true
- add notification-area applet to see input source icon from
gnome-flashback

Then it should work, but you will see two indicators. If adding
notification-area applet is acceptable to you then you probably can
disable indicator-keyboard autostarting in GNOME Flashback by copying
/etc/xdg/autostart/indicator-keyboard.desktop to ~/.config/autostart and
adding extra line 'NotShowIn=GNOME-Flashback;'.

Thank you Alberts, you're great!
I've had to remove /usr/share/upstart/sessions/indicator-keyboard.conf for
the last step to work.
I'd love to be able to do this for all users, or better yet, to have it as
the default for gnome-flashback.

Did not ubuntu switch to systemd? Does it still load upstart configuration?

It still uses Upstart user sessions. There is a plan to get rid of
them, but it's not yet implemented, mostly because lack of manpower.

a) Dmitry, do we need to stick with the Ubuntu indicators?
 * The language indicator is semi-broken.
 * Pidgin, thunderbird etc indicators don't show up.
 * The "Add event" in the date/time indicator doesn't work.

Did I understand it correctly that if we switch to whatever
gnome-flashback has by default, things will work fine again?

The main problem here is that upstream gnome-flashback use deprecated
GtkStatusIcon. To see these icons we need notification-area applet added to
panel, but... We don't want to use that applet nor GtkStatusIcons. My plan
is to write new library for status notifier specification and port all
GtkStatusIcons to it.

Right, I want to avoid using the old tray. If upstream gnome-flashback
switches to StatusNotifier based tray, I'll use it then.

b) If the previous suggestion is not feasible, what would it take to
properly replace indicator-keyboard with the "gnome-flashback keyboard
applet"? Does it need to be rewritten so that is uses the Ubuntu API there

Currently probably best option could be to:
- make changes so ubuntu keyboard indicator is not started under
GNOME-Flashback
- enable input-sources by default
- port all gnome flashback GtkStatusIcons or at least needed ones to
libappindicator so there is no need to add notification-area applet (that
would be ubuntu specific patches).

Having something in the notification area that is not consistent with
the rest of it is also what I would like to avoid.

Alkis, why can't you just define your favourite shortcut as GNOME
shortcut, and disable the X11 one? This way indicator-keyboard should
correctly handle it.