Re: [gnome-flashback] Issues with gnome-flashback on Ubuntu 16.04

On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 6:34 PM, Alkis Georgopoulos <alkisg gmail com> wrote:
On 30/11/2015 08:53 πμ, Alkis Georgopoulos wrote:
Another issue:
5) I can't resize nautilus or gedit, it's like their windows have no
edges where the mouse shows the resize cursor.
I can resize them on Unity by dragging the window edges.
I can resize them on Metacity or Unity with Alt+Mouse wheel drag.

I cannot resize them on gnome-flashback with compiz, so Unity must be doing something special to make that work.

I can not resize csd windows too, but that is theme problem:
.window-frame { margin: 0; }

Two more issues:

6) gnome-flashback with metacity has a lot of tearing while watching youtube videos (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xkNy9gfKOg) or while playing SDL games. It appears that upstream changed how backingstore was implemented and made it go through a compositor if it's available or something like that. That upstream change landed around Ubuntu 13.10 (sorry I'm upgrading from 12.04, I didn't test 14.04 due to some unrelated problems).

I tried some workarounds from google, like disabling composite in the xorg Extensions section, or setting TearFree for Intel graphics, but they didn't help with metacity.

Switching to gnome-flashback with compiz worked like a charm though!

Can you give some links for upstream change?

7) The panel applet for the keyboard layout switches between the available languages with the gnome-defined shortcut of Win+Space, but it doesn't switch with the xorg-defined shortcut of Alt+Shift.
The keyboard language switches with Alt+Shift; but the indicator is showing the (old) wrong language then.
# setxkbmap -query
rules:      evdev
model:      pc105
layout:     us,gr
variant:    ,

That might be ubuntu indicator-keyboard problem.

Can you try this:
- set org.gnome.gnome-flashback.input-sources to true
- add notification-area applet to see input source icon from gnome-flashback

Then it should work, but you will see two indicators. If adding notification-area applet is acceptable to you then you probably can disable indicator-keyboard autostarting in GNOME Flashback by copying /etc/xdg/autostart/indicator-keyboard.desktop to ~/.config/autostart and adding extra line 'NotShowIn=GNOME-Flashback;'.