Re: [gnome-flashback] Issues with gnome-flashback on Ubuntu 16.04

On 05/12/2015 07:42 μμ, Dmitry Shachnev wrote:
Alkis, why can't you just define your favourite shortcut as GNOME
shortcut, and disable the X11 one? This way indicator-keyboard should
correctly handle it.

There are two problems with it:

1) The GNOME shortcut to switch layouts doesn't work at all when an application grabs the keyboard. The XKB shortcut does work even then. IMHO that's a bad design choice of GNOME, it ignored the hooks that XKB offers for this case. This happens for example in some full screen applications, like e.g. tuxtype, tuxpaint, teeworlds etc, or a menu (like the Applications menu) is shown.
So students can't type Greek in tuxtype, making it useless.

2) When I press the GNOME shortcut for layout switching (or when I use the indicator), GNOME switches my XKB layout from "us,gr" to "gr,us" and vice-versa. It's not supposed to do that. It's supposed to change the active layout (iso-next-group), not reload the layouts in a different order. This confuses some applications. Previously, it was breaking the shortcuts (like Ctrl+A) of LibreOffice and Firefox. These are fixed now, but I'm sure that there were other applications or shortcuts that are still affected; I could locate some examples given some time. It's also confusing the focus of some controls as it's considered a keystroke instead of a dead key.

I've filed a somewhat related bug report here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity-settings-daemon/+bug/1315867

The last time we were able to let Xorg/XKB manage our keyboard layouts was in Gnome-Flashback 12.04; we didn't upgrade to 14.04 mainly because of GNOME breaking that.
It's still possible in Ubuntu Mate 16.04 though.

If we can't find any solution, for 16.04 I'll create a few wrappers for the affected applications and run the correct `setxkbmap` before and after launching the affected application.

Thanks!