Re: [gnome-flashback] ANNOUNCE: gnome-panel and gnome-flashback-session 3.8.1 release

Hi,

You want to modernize Gnome Panel, have fun hacking at obscure bugs, but
leave everybody else's needs behind. Your patches to get rid of stock
items ? Nice in theory, a few less warnings while building - but they
leave the overall translation status for gnome panel & friends (projects
that are no longer translated actively in a number of languages) in a
much worse state. And there's not really any _need_ for these patches,
until glib/gtk eventually break api and get rid of stock items. _Then_
we need these patches. So any responsible maintainer would reject these
patches for master and all current releases, and ask you to collect them
in bugzilla. Except I've pretty much given up on asking you, as you
still seem unable to even put a proper patch header (with bugzilla link)
on your work.

So gnome-control-center, nautilus, gnome-calculator, epiphany, gnome-contacts, gnome-font-viewer and probably other module maintainers are not responsible. (They all have accepted and commited patches to stop using GtkStock).

When API will break we will need to do this anyway. And it does not solve translation problem as translations will be need sooner or latter. I prefer sooner as it makes bigger chance that someone will translate them.

You are maintainer for almost one year. Year! Please list what you have done to improve gnome-panel, GNOME Flashback session. I don't see much work:
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-panel/log/?qt=author&q=Philipp+Kaluza
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-panel/log/?h=gnome-3-8&qt=author&q=Philipp+Kaluza

Your work:
1. GNOME Panel. Added session files for metacity and compiz. Fixed one warning. Two fixes for panel-run-dialog.c Two fixes for clock applet.

My work:
1. GNOME Panel. Fixed many deprecated warnings (and I have not seen any regression because of that, translations does not count). Fixed some bugs. Updated libpanela-applet library.
2. GNOME Applets. Fixed some deprecated warnings. Updated for new libpanel-applet version. Ported to GSettings. Updated gweather applet, fixed some bugs with it. Yeah there might be some regressions and I am ready to fix them if someone will report any.
3. Metacity. I spent many time to update it to GTK+ 3. Not only I did that, but I am working on GTK+ 3 port for gtk-window-decorator.
4. I prepared fix for indicator-applet and window-picker-applet so they can work with new libpanel-applet. And I am ready to help other applet maintainer to update their applets to new libpanel-applet version.
5. I have created new module (it is not ready for release yet). But it is already able to:
5.1. draw desktop background.
5.2. provide end session dialog. logout, shutdown and reboot options works.