Re: [gnome-flashback] ANNOUNCE: gnome-panel and gnome-flashback-session 3.8.1 release

Hi Alberts,

Am 23.08.2014 um 14:04 schrieb Alberts Muktupāvels:
Hi,

      Flashback Session

            * Add session description for using Flashback mode with Compiz
              This is _not_ a supported mode for Gnome Flashback, but only
              included for Ubuntu's convenience.
              (Dmitry Shachnev, Philipp Kaluza)

How Compiz session will work with DMs that does not support parameter
passing in session file? Or suddenly it does not matter?

It does not matter for us, as we don't support this use case. (This is
not Gnome Flashback, and I'm serious about not diluting that mark.) That
this is even in git is only a convenience to make Dmitry's work
(collecting translations) easier.
Either he can decide to ship a second script, or only support a subset
of DMs, or whatever. Problem delegated.

So that means that you don't plan make new release at least for next 4
months?
No it does not. It does mean that we will _not_ do an ABI and API break
without proper announcement - as I had told you repeatedly.

The rdepends for libpanel-applet are at least:
  workrave
  uim-applet-gnome
  sensors-applet
  link-monitor-applet
  gnubiff
  gnome-applets
  workrave
  uim-applet-gnome
  tracker-gui
  sensors-applet
  netspeed
  link-monitor-applet
  indicator-applet-session
  indicator-applet-complete
  indicator-applet-appmenu
  indicator-applet
  gnubiff
  gnote
  byzanz
  apt-watch-gnome
, possibly more in unstable / experimental / fedora. You want to do
something useful ? Help contact each and every one of them.

I guess it was way to hard to fix broken EDS. I wrote why it does not
work. I sent two patches for another bug.
Which bug number ? What message IDs did the patches have ?
Track your work correctly.

I will ask again. Please transfer maintainership to me.
Well I have one thing to contribute, and that is proper release
engineering - something you have demonstrated neither willingness nor
understanding of.

You want to modernize Gnome Panel, have fun hacking at obscure bugs, but
leave everybody else's needs behind. Your patches to get rid of stock
items ? Nice in theory, a few less warnings while building - but they
leave the overall translation status for gnome panel & friends (projects
that are no longer translated actively in a number of languages) in a
much worse state. And there's not really any _need_ for these patches,
until glib/gtk eventually break api and get rid of stock items. _Then_
we need these patches. So any responsible maintainer would reject these
patches for master and all current releases, and ask you to collect them
in bugzilla. Except I've pretty much given up on asking you, as you
still seem unable to even put a proper patch header (with bugzilla link)
on your work.

Stop asking. I will _not_ hand over maintainership to a hothead like you.

I am pretty sure that everyone on this mailing list is waiting for
that. You have done nothing to improve this session. It is time to
step down.
Don't make me laugh.

Do something constructive, coordinate your work with others, and learn
to ask for and accept feedback / reviews. _Then_ I'm willing to look at
further work from you.
Or shut up and go away, and leave us all alone. There's lots of good &
interesting work outstanding on gnome-panel and gnome flashback I'd much
rather spend my time on than keep having the same  discussion over and
over again with you.

Cheers
  Philipp

--